Salary: 400 annual hours. £26,520 (pro rata). (c. £5,100pa)
Temple Cloud Circus is looking to recruit a compassionate, creative and experienced aerial teacher to join the teaching team.
Roles and Responsibilities,
To make lesson plans and assist in the development of our teaching programme.
To rig the room for lessons and leave room tidy according to the operations policy.
To be full responsible for the class with out a manager present in the building.
To adapt to and follow our developing Operations Policy.
Aerial Teacher – Job Title: Aerial Teacher – Temple Cloud Circus
Working pattern to be agreed with Manager – teaching hours likely be spread across 2 -3 days. Some weekend and evening work may be required to fulfil the requirements of this post.
Reports to: Manager
Location: Temple Cloud Circus
Occasional work or meetings inside our tent in a close field or other locations at festivals may be required. Temple Cloud Circus was founded 10 years ago by Acupuncturist and body workers Sammy Terry. Our approach is student lead learning for health and well being. We attract local students mainly youth.
We are developing our teaching courses and delivery methods all the time with strict adherences to health and safety, as aerial is our main discipline. This development is informed by expanding students’ range of knowledge of possible styles of delivery.
Within our premises we also foster effective working partnerships, and are engaged with community events, large scale festivals, offer facility hire and bespoke events packages. Our development over a decade means we now have many adult students across our courses, with 60 young people regularly attending the youth circus and we perform up to 24 shows a year.
Temple Cloud Circus is looking to recruit a passionate, compassionate and experienced aerial teacher to join the small team. The post-holder will take responsibility for the direct delivery of aerial classes, the content of which, should aim to both complement and enhance students’ physical and creative practice as developing aerial circus artists and performers.
Key responsibilities: Teaching & Teaching Assistant
• Work as a member of the teaching team to plan, prepare and teach aerial classes across all classes and to assist in the development of our teaching program, using a range of delivery modes that will complement and enhance students’ physical and artistic development.
• Teach Codified and non-codified aerial technique .
• Explorations of all disciplines of circus.
• Undertake continuous assessment of student progress and performance. • Contribute a report and the end of term for each student.
• Contribute to curriculum development and course review.
• Where appropriate, involvement in student induction, tasters and 121’s.
• Contribute to and participate in quality and other administrative reviews.
• Undertake academic administration duties such as attendance taking, reporting, project management, when required.
• Attend meetings when required.
• Undertake teaching related administrative matters.
• Act as mentor for students and provide pastoral care and support in learning and to deal with issues and concerns of students, as a first line support.
• Refer students to the appropriate Support or Management should the need arise.
• Make sure that all tricks taught in class are properly risk assessed by the manager and delivery method approved in advance to delivery.
General responsibilities applicable to all
• Understand and support the vision, mission and aims of the Temple Cloud Circus.
• Maintain awareness of your own and others’ Health and Safety, and comply with Temple Cloud Circus Health and Safety policy.
• Take appropriate responsibility for records held, created or used as part of your work for Temple Cloud Circus (paper-based and electronic) in line with the relevant data protection regulations.
• Temple Cloud Circus is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, we expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
•Temple Cloud Circus also expects all staff and volunteers to share our commitment to Equal Opportunities within the workplace.
• Encourage team working and effective communication with colleagues. • Act as a representative of Temple Cloud Circus and deal with students, Managers and the public in a professional manner at all times.
• Comply with all Temple Cloud Circus policies and practices as applicable.
• Undertake other duties as may be reasonably requested of your post. This job description is not comprehensive, and duties may change and develop according to future requirements.
Essential / Desirable Skills and Qualifications:
• Educated to degree level in dance or related subject, or relevant professional experience.
•Teaching qualification and or youth work qualification.
• High level of aerial circus skills.
• Experience of, and ability to teach a range of codified and non-codified aerial styles – which may includes, trapeze, silks, aerial rope, aerial loop, hand balancing, straps, dance choreography.
• Ability to teach/adapt teaching material to a range of levels and abilities.
• Knowledge of circus skills.
• Ability to plan own workload and manage time efficiently
• Proven ability to foster and maintain professional relationships and effectively resolve tensions and difficulties in a positive manner.
• Understanding of student support needs, safeguarding and duty of care. Able to provide guidance, signposting to student support lead.
• Ability to communicate new and complex information effectively, both verbally and in writing, engaging the interest and enthusiasm of learners • A flexible approach to work
• Strong presentation skills
• Confident IT skills
• Previous experience of teaching and assessing work at NVQ level
• Ability to teach acrobatic, Handstands, tumbling, Hoola Hoop, Trapeze, Silks, Loop, Rope, Straps, Any Aerial and and other circus skills.
• Experience of working with students with additional learning needs
• Creative approaches and ideas for delivery